Having the right hairstyle when you’re working out is essential to surviving the sweat sesh. Whether you’re hiking with your best mate or burning calories in the gym, there’s nothing worse than loose hair sticking to your neck sweat. If you’re resolving to get fit, we’re here for you. We know nothing is more annoying than having to stop mid-workout to fix your hair, so we’ve rounded up seven cute sporty styles to rock while you hit those goals!
Sick of your regular ponytail? Then it’s time to get creative and dress up your go-to style with some colourful elastics! Gone are the days of wearing a hairband on your wrist and hoping for the best. By adding a few simple elastics down your mane, you’ll keep everything in place while radiating high-fashion vibes! You can inject some fun with playful colours like these Scunci Elastics Reflective Active No Damage bands or keep it more consistent with neutral elastics.
Here’s how to create this look in minutes:
- Brush your hair up into a mid-height pony and secure with an elastic. Alternatively, start with a side ponytail.
- Grab a bunch of your favourite hair bands and tie them along the length of your ponytail at regular intervals.
- Tug at the hair in between each elastic to give them that ‘bubble’ look. That’s it!
If you hate hair in your face, then this style is the one for you. Designed to be worn messy, this easy-peasy ‘do will leave you ready for running, hiking and cycling, and it’s good for keeping your hair out of the way when you’re lying on your back too. To achieve this effortless look, first, flip your hair upside down and gather your tresses at the top of your head. Twist your hair in a circle until you have a roll-like bun, then tie it off with an elastic or your favourite scrunchie. Alternatively, you can scoop the hair up and start tying it into a ponytail but don’t quite finish pulling the hair through on the last loop around with your elastic. A super easy style that allows you to give total concentration to your workout.
A classic go-to workout hairstyle that keeps your tresses out of the way while looking sleek, the high ponytail never fails. You can transform a basic high pony by braiding it or teaming it with a headband. Headbands are super practical, keeping your flyaways at bay while simultaneously absorbing sweat. For the ultimate sporty style, we recommend matching a soft and stretchy Scunci Headwrap with a patterned scrunchie. Using a scrunchie will help you rock a bold new look while you focus on your moves and won’t leave an annoying dent in your hair afterwards.
Low bun hairstyles are not only on-trend, but they keep the strands off your face and can even be braided for a nice surprise detail. There’s no need to sacrifice the state of your hair with this simple style that works with a side or centre part. Create your own badass bun in three simple steps:
- Brush your hair into a low ponytail and secure with a Scunci No Damage Skinny Elastic.
- Twist your ponytail and wrap it around the elastic.
- Secure the bun in place with a colourful Scunci Braided Elastic.
Top tip: If you still have a few loose strands or flyaways, you can tame them with a couple of Bobby Pin Slides to help keep your sporty ‘do firmly in place.
A half-up style is chic yet practical and keeps the face free while you look super cute at the gym. It works for any hair length and texture, and you can choose between a simple half ponytail or have some fun with cute halo braids or even a topknot. This style is great for low-impact exercise where you won’t get too sweaty, like a gentle hike or pilates class. You can choose to section off the front of your hair and tie it with an elastic or use a brush to gather the front and sides, then secure with a cute scrunchie. If you want to level up your style, try braiding your hair from ear to ear and securing it with pins or plaiting your mini pony at the back.
Space buns are the ultimate quirky hairstyle. Not only are they stylish, but they are highly functional when it comes to working out. Combining retro ‘90s vibes with a fun, edgy look, these double buns are so cute you won’t want to take them out when you’re done!
To create space buns, follow these easy steps:
- Brush your hair and part down the middle.
- Separate the two sides and tie one side with an elastic to keep it out of the way.
- With the free strand, brush the hair up into a high ponytail on top of your head and secure with an elastic.
- Repeat with the other side until you have two high ponytails.
- Working with one side at a time, wrap the length of your hair around the base of your ponytail and secure with Bobby Pin Slides.
You can bring a touch of personality to your buns with some colourful scrunchies or if you don’t have long enough hair for space buns, you can create mini buns with a half-up, half-down style instead.
Sporty and cute, double braids are great for strenuous activities, and they even work for cycling as they secure neatly under a helmet. You can choose from a multitude of gorgeous braids for this style, from sleek fishtail braids to gym-ready boxer plaits. Even better, when you take them out, you’re left with cute mermaid waves for the rest of the day! To create a simple double French braid, follow these steps:
- Part your hair down the middle and brush out the sides. Secure one side with an elastic to keep it out of the way while you braid the other.
- Start by taking a section of hair at the front and splitting it into three strands.
- Take the top strand and cross over into the middle, and then take the bottom strand and cross over into the middle.
- Continue with this pattern adding small sections of hair as you go. You can watch a great tutorial here.
- When you have your braid, tie it off with a hair elastic and repeat the process on the other side.
See our full tutorial HERE
For more inspiration on the latest in hairstyles, tips and how-tos, check out our latest blogs and video tutorials. Become your very best hairstylist at home with Scunci hair tools and accessories.