We all know winter can be tough on your hair, so why not take a break from your tools and let your locks chill while you try out a few new styles? It’s no secret that straightening, drying and curling can take their toll, and while we love the flawless looks these stylers bring, there’s no better time to go au naturel!
Heat-free styling not only saves time and is better for your tresses, but it can actually combat hair woes like frizz, flyaways and split ends. That’s right! You can fix your hair dramas and rock a gorgeous new look; who doesn’t want that?! Read on to discover five amazing heatless hacks for the ultimate hibernation hair this winter.
If you’re as addicted to TikTok as us, you won’t have missed the many ways to curl your hair without heat. From sock curls and hair plopping to t-shirt halos and robe twists, we’ve been treated to a bounty of hacks over the last year. One of our favourite ways to achieve heatless curls is the headband technique using our Scunci Headwraps. We love this style as it’s truly effortless!
- First, brush your hair well to remove any knots, then dampen by spritzing with water or briefly holding your hair under the shower.
- Next, put on the headband, wearing it across your forehead like a crown.
- Now it’s time to start looping your hair. Start by taking a 30mm strand from one side of your face. Lift it over the headband, then loop it under so the strand sits with the rest of your hair. Now repeat with the next 30mm strand, continuing to gather and loop the hair in the same way until the first half of your hair is tucked in the band.
- Repeat on the other side of your head. If you feel some pieces coming loose, you can use bobby pins to secure the hair in place.
- Leave overnight while you sleep or for 4-6 hours.
- The next morning, release your curls one at a time and tease out with your fingers or brush them out for some gorgeous bouncy waves. There are lots of great tutorials on YouTube like this one if you need some more inspo.
Almost all of us battle frizz at some point, more so in winter when there is less moisture in the air. So, there’s no better time to put down the styling tools and find a heat-free solution to fix your frizz and put that much-needed moisture back in. Thankfully, there are heaps of things you can do, from getting frequent trims to investing in a silk pillowcase. Here are a few of our top tips:
- Wear a scrunchie - This cute accessory isn’t just a great way to tie up your hair; but it also prevents damage. Unlike many other hair ties, a scrunchie is gentle on your locks, so you can rock that high topknot without worry.
- Use a silk pillowcase - A silk pillowcase has multiple benefits for your hair. It prevents friction, keeping your strands smooth all night, and it helps hold styled hair. No more crazy bed head!
- Wash wisely - Washing your hair frequently can seriously dehydrate it, so lay off the shampoo and let your hair go for at least two or three days in between washes. Look for a shampoo that protects your hair’s natural oils and hydrates your locks, and avoid ingredients like alcohol, silicone and sulphates.
- Switch to a microfiber hair towel - Something as simple as swapping out your hair towel can make a big difference to the health of your tresses. Cotton towels create friction with your hair, which can cause breakage and frizz, while microfiber technology prevents it.
- Slick down flyaways with clips - Flyaways are tough to avoid, but you can tamp them down with a little serum or spray. Even better, why not smooth them into place with a few cute clips?
Overnight heatless straight hair
We are huge fans of any style you can create in your sleep. Waking up hair-perfect? Yes, please! We think most of you probably have heatless overnight curls down pat thanks to TikTok, but how about heatless overnight straightening?
Start with clean, wet hair and use a comb to smooth out your hair to get rid of any knots. Section off the hair at the crown of your head, tie it up, then slowly start combing the rest of your hair over the top of your head. Slide bobby pins along your hairline to ensure your hair stays flat against your head. Keep combing over the hair until it is fully wrapped around your head. Finally, take the top piece of hair out, brush it, then wrap it around your head in one go and pin. You can tie a silk scarf around your hair to keep it smooth and in place or, alternatively sleep on a silk pillowcase. The next morning remove the pins, brush your hair and voila! Straight tresses without the heat. You can watch lots of tutorials online like this one if you need extra help.
Shower and go
Ditching the post-shower blowout from time to time doesn’t have to mean a hot, frizzy mess. In fact, we’ve seen slick wet ‘dos gracing fashion runways for years. Not only does it give your hair a break from the heat, but you can create a new look in a matter of minutes! There are even a few styles that work just as well when dry, like a French braid that, when released, leaves you with gorgeous mermaid waves.
To style your hair straight from wet, first comb through the hair to smooth it out, then leave it until it’s mostly dry before working your favourite styling serum into your hair. Now you can either leave your hair to dry or style it. Try a loose twisted bun for a relaxed look that dries into messy waves or a braided crown to tidy up the hair around the face that can end up looking frizzy when left to its own devices. If you’re in a rush, why not slide on a Scunci Comfortable Headband to keep those flyaways in place?
Winter hair doesn’t need to be boring. The cold season is actually a great time to brighten things up with a splash of colour and style. Accessories are our jam, and we absolutely love creating cute looks with our elastics, clips and scrunchies. Bejeweling your hair with accessories is a great way to hide unwashed hair, finish off an outfit or add colour. Try adding multiple Bobby Pin Slides to one or both sides of your parting for an eye-catching new look or tie a Jumbo Scrunchie to a high bun for a playful look. We love creating bobble braids with our Rainbow Elastics too.
For more inspiration on the latest in hairstyles, tips and how-tos, check out our latest blogs and video tutorials. Become your very best hairstylist at home with Scunci hair tools and accessories.